Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

New Release -- Blackberry Road by Jodi Lea Stewart #sundownpress #prairierosepub

Thirteen-year-old Biddy Woodson has learned how to sass and vinegar her way through life with eleven siblings in a sharecropper family in 1934 Oklahoma—even if it takes a heap of cussing to get through those hellish stacks of after-meal dishes.

Trouble sneaks in one afternoon like an oily Dustbowl twister when a beloved neighbor is murdered, and a single piece of evidence sends the sheriff to arrest Mr. Leroy, a black man who lives in the nearby woods.

Biddy knows Mr. Leroy wouldn’t hurt a fly, and she’s convinced the sheriff looks down on sharecroppers and negroes. Trouble rides heavy on the summer air with family issues and Mr. Leroy’s predicament. How can Biddy see justice done for the gentle man she knows is innocent?

Hauntingly terrifying sounds seeping from the woods lead Biddy into even deeper mysteries and despair, and finally, into the shocking truths of that fateful summer.  Though Biddy vows to see Mr. Leroy freed, she’s up against more than she bargained for. Help comes from an unlikely source, but can life ever be the same on BLACKBERRY ROAD?

EXCERPT


 I guess it shouldn’t matter why I turned into a big cusser or why, out of my eight brothers, I got my favorites…and two I kind of hate. You’ll find out about that soon enough. All I know is, we were minding our own business when trouble sneaked in one day like an oily twister on a sleepy afternoon. I reckon Nowata County, Oklahoma, is still yapping how we never had a summer like 1934, and I don’t blame them. Now, I want to tell you about it and how it changed everything—especially us.
      But I’m getting ahead of my own self.
 What’s important is the murder of a good man happened right under our noses, and that started a mystery in our neck of the woods like no one ever heard tell of, and probably never will again. That situation laid open truths about some folks like a hatchet tearing into new wood. Then Allen and Tommy—that’s two of my older brothers—cheated the devil hisself and didn’t die when the doctor same as said they had to. Who ever heard of such things?
 My story starts on May the fifth. I know the day exactly, on account of we’d been out of our school term for five days on the dot. Mr. MacGregor let us out early because of some important business he had to attend to in Oklahoma City. You can look in on us that day in May, and guess what you’ll see? It’s me, the girl, finally done washing and wrenching and drying a peak of hell’s dishes from our noon-day meal.
 Just so you know, doing the dishes for that mess of ornery brothers till my hands shrivel up is worse than cutting your own switch for a switching. Sometimes, it makes me so mad I cuss a blue streak and maybe a red one, too, only I sure don’t do it out loud.


      

9 comments:

  1. Jodi, I can't tell you enough how much I thoroughly enjoyed BLACKBERRY ROAD. What a unique, wonderful story you told and in such a powerful way. I couldn't stop reading this story. And the way Biddy told the story was just wonderful! LOVED IT! Congratulations on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. I'm so glad you enjoyed BLACKBERRY ROAD. It was truly a labor of love to get Biddy's adventure and story told. I feel many will relate to her down-home view of life, even though the novel is set in 1934. I wanted to reach a broad spectrum of folks and touch their hearts and their heads, and, hopefully, I have done that. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Very atmospheric and moody. This sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I love your adjectives! If I hadn't written it, I would have to read a book described as "atmospheric" and "moody!"

      Delete
  3. Way to go Jodi. You seem to capture the young almost adult so perfectly. Another winner. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi Lea,

    the reading world needs more stories set during the Great Depression as well as being set in the Dust Bowl area. I live right smack dab in the heart of the 'Bowl', so a story like yours captures my interest immediately. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you that we need more books set in the Depression era. Those were hard times that forged tough souls. They were amazing people who were not looking for a handout but were determined to survive and thrive. I look forward to your feedback after you read BLACKBERRY ROAD, Kaye! Thanks so much for your support!

      Delete
  5. Jodi Lea, This sounds awesome and I look forward to reading this one for sure. On my TBR list. It sounds as if Biddy will have me laughing most of the time while she relates her story, and what a topic for that era that will most likely totally capture my attention but tug at my hearstrings as well. Love that kind. Wishing you much success. I apologize for being so late as I had major computer problems. So nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete