Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

New Release — Trading Horse by Darrel Sparkman

Range detective Jim Murphy digs in his heels to keep from falling in love with beautiful Connie Pinder, a rancher's daughter who's involved in the case Jim is investigating, right up to her pretty little neck. Following the trail of a stolen horse, Jim discovers it's actually a trail of murder, as well as a ruse by a ruthless gunfighter with his sights set on kidnapping Connie. Jim knows he can't let that happen, so that's when the bullets fly! TRADING HORSE by Darrel Sparkman is an action packed adventure full of gun smoke, and unforgettable characters.

EXCERPT


     The gambler’s first mistake was trying a bottom deal. It was slick and when that card popped up, he looked at me. There were no words spoken. He knew I’d caught him and then he decided to shoot me before I could name him a card cheat. It was close. For a skilled man there is no faster draw than a sleeve gun.

     His last mistake was in thinking I hadn’t already drawn my pistol. Hidden under the table, it pointed right at him. When he raised his hand like pointing at the ceiling, I knew what was coming. The hand dropped, pointing right at me. When his derringer came into sight I shot him. Fair? Depends on your viewpoint.

     He wasn’t good at his chosen vocation. Normally, the town marshal would run men like that out of town with a stern warning accompanied with a few bruises and a dimple in his hat.

     I didn’t want to shoot him. Given a little time, and us being close together, I’d have tried for a shoulder wound. But he was quick with that derringer and gave me no time at all. The gambler was left with a belly wound. If he was lucky, he might be dead by now. A wound like that was a sure ticket to hell, and it takes days to make the passage. I’ve heard laudanum does no good against the pain.


12 comments:

  1. Darrel, I always enjoy your stories and look forward to the next one. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTED BY CHERYL FOR DARREL WHO IS HAVING BLOGGER WOES: Working my fingers to the bone!

      Delete
  2. Trading Horse looks to be an exciting story, Darrel. I wish you every success with this new release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTED BY CHERYL FOR DARREL WHO IS HAVING BLOGGER WOES: Thanks, I enjoyed writing it.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new book. I hope you have great success with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTED BY CHERYL FOR DARREL WHO IS HAVING BLOGGER WOES: Thanks, and I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. Well, that blurb sat me right up in my seat. Suspence, intrigue, and a whalloping good read for sure. Wishing you much success with Trading Horse. Great cover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTED BY CHERYL FOR DARREL WHO IS HAVING BLOGGER WOES: Thanks for your kind words. Sundown Press does a walloping good job!

      Delete
  5. A sleeve pistol, how neat. Sounds like a heck of a good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTED BY CHERYL FOR DARREL WHO IS HAVING BLOGGER WOES: Those are tricky. I stole the idea from Louis L'Amour. He said in one of his books that there was no faster draw than the sleeve gun. I might add, no greater embarrassment if it didn't work. 🙂 All these are 'nearabout

      Delete
  6. Many congratulations on the new book. It looks like a doozie. Great premise.

    ReplyDelete