Search This Blog

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Preparing for a New Season

This post by Gayle M. Irwin



The air temperature cooled in my area this week, with lows dipping into the 40s. Forest underbrush is turning yellow, and some tree leaves reflect summer is waning. Even the colors of flowers are showing signs of autumn and people are removing air conditions from house windows – a new season is nearly upon us.

As I prepare for a new season in nature, I’m also preparing for a new season in my life. This weekend my husband and I welcome a new addition to our family – we are adopting another dog!  More than 18 months ago, our nearly 18-year-old cocker spaniel, Cody, passed from this life to the next, leaving a hole in our hearts and our home emptier. Our cocker/springer mix, Mary, seems lonely as well. The time feels right, and so for the past several months, I’ve been visiting websites for different animal rescues, looking for a small, friendly dog that gets along with other animals. I’ve looked locally as well, but small dogs are hard to find in our area; they get adopted very quickly. Because of Petfinder.com, I came across a rescue called Hearts United for Animals. They have several small dogs – which we decided to focus on due to our ages. So, now we are preparing our home for the new little guy with extra food and water dishes, his own doggie bed, and sheltering our cats for the slow introduction we will do when the new dog comes to our home.

The Irwins new furry friend - Stormy

Another new season is occurring in my life simultaneously. In addition for writing for a magazine called WREN (Wyoming Rural Electric News), something I’ve done for more than four years, I’m now serving (at least temporary) as assistant editor. The job, done from home, may become permanent – at least I hope so. I’d love to have a permanent, ½ to ¾-time writing/editing job that I can do from home. I should know by month-end what the publisher decides. Meantime, I’m enjoying not only the extra income, but also the added learning experience.

As a writer, I embrace new seasons, sometimes needing a break from one project to let it simmer and coming back to it later, letting the characters and plot “speak to me” once again. Sometimes I need a rest from writing period as I await new ideas to form. And, then there are seasons when the stories come easily and the muse flows.

Each season, whether personally and professionally, has its purpose.

New seasons happen to us regularly; sometimes they’re welcome (such as a new dog) and sometimes they aren’t (like the fires in Montana and the hurricanes along America’s coastlines). Some new seasons are challenging and some are filled with joy. But, they all present learning opportunities, strengthening of spirit, and occasions to help others (human or animal… or both). May whatever season you are in – personally, professionally – bring greater awareness, strength of spirit, and great opportunities to you and those around you!

When you feel a new season is upon you, how do you prepare?


Gayle M. Irwin writes inspirational pet stories for children and adults. She is also a freelance writer and has stories in several editions of Chicken Soup for the Soul, including last month's release "The Dog Really Did That?" She also contributed a story to Sundown Press' 2016 anthology "Pawprints on My Heart." Learn more about Gayle's writing and speaking endeavors at www.gaylemirwin.com, where she also maintains a weekly pet blog. Sign up for her free monthly newsletter geared for pet parents when visiting her website.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Gayle, Stormy looks adorable and I'm sure all of you will be a family right off the bat. Best wishes. We too lost our Jamie(he was in Pawprints)in Aug. 2016 and wasn't sure we could handle loosing another dog after that guy. But then I got a call that a dog needed one on one from a breeder who raises and shows Am. Water Spaniels--I've always had a dog from the shelter where I vol. and serve on their board. Well, Sierra has a new home and in house training and she's a sweetheart. Wishing you the best in your job and with the new additions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gayle,

    My two dogs are also getting up there in years - Mike is 11 and Charlie is 9. Your new family member is a cutie. As far as preparing for a new season... I am energized with the onset of autumn and the coming winter. I am at my best during the dark time of the year. I feel the positive change in my mental state, my emotional well-being, and even my physical activity increase. I don't know that I do anything in particular to prepare for the change of seasons, but I certainly look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beverly -- thank you for reading my post and for your comments. I love that you volunteer and serve on the board of a shelter -- thank you for your heart for animals! We picked up Stormy (now christened "Jeremiah") on Saturday, and I discovered a vast array of volunteers serving at that sanctuary (located on an old farm in southern NE). Rescue and adoption truly take a village of caring people! I am super happy with our new little rescue dog ... as I am sure you are with yours!!

      Delete
    2. Hi, Kaye -- I've loved each of my pets to the end, and I look forward to this new season with a new furry friend, whom I hope lives for many years (he's about 5 now). I admire you for your ability to write and create during the darker months of the year -- I am a sunshine girl, and though I don't mind autumn (I love the colors!), winter is a difficult time for me; I hope to be a snowbird one day, at least for 3 months of the winter. Thank you for reading and commenting on my post and for the great work you do and the love you have for your pets! Best to you during these upcoming seasons!

      Delete